Installation of UrBackupClient
Download and install client agent from https://www.urbackup.org/download.html Note there are versions available for Windows, MacOS and various flavours of Linux. Also 32bit and 64bit options. Choose the appropriate client.
The client will by default, find the UrBackup server and make an initial backup.
- You may have to tune your anti-virus/local firewall rules to allow the client to run.
- You should set a default policy on the server, suitable for all clients (or groups of clients) in the organization.
- You can make local changes to the backup settings, but this will override the server settings and prevent proper maintenance via the remote interface, so this is not recommended.
File Backup Configuration of UrBackupClient
- File backups use Unix hard links to "share" files between full and incremental backups. If the oldest backup is an "incremental" it still has copies of all of the files.
Sample file backup configuration for a minimum backup is attached. ExampleMinimumFileBackup.png
Image Backup Configuration of UrBackupClient
- Note image backups can only be restored onto identical hardware to the original device.
- Useful to restore PC's compromised through virus etc.
- Also useful for forensic investigations.
- Not useful to move data onto a new laptop or similar.
- Images can be "mounted" and then individual files copied off the image.
Recommended Settings for Backups
- Interval for incremental file backups: 24 hours
- Interval for full file backups: 28 days
- Max number of incremental file backups: 7
- Min number of incremental file backups: 5
- Max number of full file backups: 2
- Min number of full file backups: 1
Program files *.exe;*.dll;*.msi
- Note if you include files only the listed files get backed up.
Office data *.pst;*.doc;*.docx;*xlsx;*.xls;*.pdf;*.msg
- Note if you set default directories, only these files will get backed up
File backups 4 weeks 8 weeks *;*;*;7 File backup -
This should provide one image, up to one month old, to restore the server. You will have to do software upgrades and data restore from files to get a working server.
- Interval for incremental image backups: 30 days
- Interval for full image backups: 60 days or disable
- Max number of incremental image backups 2
- Min number of incremental image backups 1
- Max number of full image backups 1
- Min number of full image backups 0
- Volumes to backup C